Flatgame Maker Example! ^^^ Control with WASD or Arrows.
Made by Breogan Hackett to demonstrate the Flatgame Maker.
Flatgame Maker is a unity plugin designed to make game making easier and more accessible, developed by Dreamfeel and led by Breogan Hackett.
Flatgames are hand drawn games with simple mechanics, often about real life places and memories.
The Flatgame Maker makes the process quick! There are buttons to do things like make your art move and change colours or change areas. You can also use your webcam to add images to the game, and your microphone to add sounds!
We think games are cool and we want everyone to see that too. As soon as you have your own art moving on the screen it's magic.
The tool is currently in Beta and welcome any thoughts and feedback! We want to know what works and what doesn't, what's confusing and what's cool. Right now it's probably more accessible to those with some starting unity experience but we hope to keep making it accessible.
Check out the Jam we're hosting until the end of January too!
How to get started!
1 - Download and install Unity (eg, Unity 2019.4). https://unity3d.com/get-unity/download
2 - Download the template project or Flatgame Maker package
3a - Open up the template project,
or 3b - create a new project and import the package.
4 - Open TemplateScene.unity
5 - Open the Flatgame Maker window if it's not open by clicking the option along the toolbar at the top of the screen. Drag it onto the Unity UI to place it alongside the other unity windows. This window lets you navigate your flatgame creation and add areas and art.
Guide to using the tool coming soon!
Free! If you make any games, a credit would be nice and give us a shout out on twitter @dreamfeelx so we can see your games!
How do we use it?
- Download Unity 2019 (it should work in other versions as well).
- After you create a new Unity project import The Flatgame Maker package. You will be prompted to isntall Text Mesh Pro, do this as well.
- To add the Flatgame Maker window you should see a toolbar at the top of the screen.
- Now you can play around with the tool! Start by adding a new "Area", these are the spaces your flatgames are based inside.
Unity is the tool we use every day so it makes sense and is easiest for us. It also allows a lot of freedom to get more complex and add your own scripts, if you wanna! We would also love to see and would support ports of this to other platforms such as Godot.
Got any Flatgame Examples?
We have hosted 3 Flatgame Jams in the past with 94 Flatgames entered!
But all kinds of folks have been making flatgames and using the term outside those jams, it's way bigger than us, and I'm in love with everything everyone makes. - llaura <3
- Tool and sample game by Breogan
- Idea, design and sample music by Llaura
- Sample art by Liadh + Breogan
- Inspiration and webcam import code by Candle
Click download now to get access to the following files:
- Flatgame Maker v0.81 + Launch22 days ago